North Oakland County Fire Authority wants you to be safe in your own home!!
Resdential safety program or RSP, is a voluntary solution to help homeowners prevent fires. The RSP is designed to reduce the number and serverity of fires in Holly Twp and Rose Twp. We offer the following
- Free smoke alarm upgrades and installations
- Free in home fire safety assessments
- One-on-one fire safety consultations specific to the residence
To qualify for this program you must reside in Holly Twp or Rose Twp.
Home Fire Sprinkler Safety Tips and Information
Over 80% of fire deaths occur in the home. Home fire sprinklers can save lives and property from fire. They respond quickly and effectively to fire, often extinguishing the fire before the fire department arrives. Only the sprinkler closest to the fire will activate, spraying water on the fire.
• Home fire sprinklers save lives and property. In many situations, a family who has survived a fire will also have their “home” to live in and enough of the items and space in their home to continue living their lives as they did before.
• The cost of a home fire sprinkler system in a new home averages $1.61 per sprinklered square foot totaling an amount similar to what is spent for carpet upgrades, paving stone driveway or a whirlpool bath.
Source: Fire Protection Research Foundation Study 2008.
• A home fire sprinkler system can reduce the homeowner’s insurance premium.
• Fire departments typically use roughly 10 times as much water as a fire sprinkler would use to contain a fire.
Source: Fire Protection Research Foundation Study 2010.
• Fire sprinklers are environmentally friendly. They can reduce the amount of water run-off and pollution, fire damage by up to 71%, and water usage to fight a home fire by as much as 91%.
Source: FM Global and Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition Study 2010.
• Cigar smoke or burnt toast will not activate a fire sprinkler. Only the high temperature of a fire will activate the sprinkler.
• A home fire sprinkler system is easy to maintain. Just inspect your home to make sure the sprinklers are not blocked by something that would prevent the water from coming out such as paint and be sure the main control valve is never turned off.
• Home fire sprinklers are effective in cold and warm climates. Guidelines have been created for the proper installation of systems to avoid pipes freezing. A home fire sprinkler system should be winterized the same as you winterize a domestic water supply.
We have provided the following guides as a public service to those we protect.
Please be sure to read through each document carefully and pass the information to all family members. These documents were created with Adobe Acrobat and must be downloaded to view.
N.O.C.F.A. Offers Fire Extinguisher Training
North Oakland County Fire Authority is now offering hands on fire extinguisher training to businesses, churches, civic organizations etc. Through a recently acquired grant NOCFA will be receiving the Bullex Fire Extinguisher Trainer and will be scheduling trainings. If your group is interested in learning to use a fire extinguisher call Lt. Scott Blaska at 810-955-7444.